Kashmiri dum aloo is a popular dish in Northern parts of India. In Bengal we have our aloor dum which is a potato dish made in a rich curry of onion – ginger – garlic etc. Unlike bengali aloor dum, we can say kashmiri dum aloo is a total ‘niramish aloor dum’ as we do not use onion ginger garlic in it. Let’s check the Kashmiri dum aloo recipe. In this recipe, people use a little ginger powder, but since I was keen on making it total ‘niramish’ without ginger garlic and onion, I prepared it without ginger.
Total preparation time of Kashmiri dum aloo recipe : 20 minutes
Ingredients for Kashmiri dum aloo recipe cooked for 3 people:
1. 3 medium potatoes – cut into 8 pieces (they can be wonderfully made with baby potatoes as well)
2. 200 – 250 ml beaten curd
3. A paste of 1 tsp kashmiri chilly powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin or jeera powder, 1/4 tsp coriander powder or dhone, 1/2 tsp turmeric or haldi, 1 tsp garam Masala powder (which is mixture of cardamom, cinnamon and clove)
4. 1 tsp fennel powder or saunf or mouri powder
6. 1 tbsp mustard oil / ghee/ refined oil
7. Asafoetida or Hing – A pinch
Kashmiri dum aloo recipe – The method:
1. Heat oil in a wok, add a pinch of hing in it
2. Add the Masala or spices paste and fry till oil separates
3. Add the beaten curd and stir for sometime. Add fennel and stir more till oil starts to leave the gravy
3. Add salt and potatoes and coat the masala well around
4. Add 1 – 1.5 cup of water and cover cook till potatoes are soft and cooked
Your Kashmiri dum aloo is ready to serve with hot luchi or puri!
Please leave your valuable comment here on the Kashmiri dum aloo recipe.
To Follow / Like us at facebook, please click here.
To Follow / Like us on twitter, please click here.
To find more Kashmiri recipes, please click here.
To find more breakfast/snack recipes, please click here.
To find more vegetable recipes, please click here.