And today’s recipe for Sunday lunch is Rice & Kashmiri Chicken. To my delight the recipe is quite simple and the whole spices that’s used in the process does all the magic. The aroma and flavours released by the spices imparts a distinctive feature to the otherwise much predictable chicken dishes and their recipes. Let’s check the Kashmiri Chicken recipe.
Time required to cook Kashmiri Chicken: About 45 minutes
Serves 6 – 8 people
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
To find more chicken recipes, please click here.
Ingredients to cook Kashmiri Chicken:
- Chicken – 1 kg curry cut pieces
- A paste of 3 onions, 1.5 ” ginger, 12 big cloves of garlic
- Powdered spices : 1 tsp Kashmiri Mirch, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Whole spices – 6 – 8 black peppercorns, 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf, 2 black cardamoms, 3 green cardamoms, 7 – 8 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 bay leaf
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 2 tbsp of curd – beat it well
- Mustard oil or ghee
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Potatoes – optional
Kashmiri Chicken Recipe:
- Apply salt, lemon juice and powdered spices mentioned in the ingredients list to the chicken. Marinate for about an hour. You can put peeled & cut potatoes in the same bowl
- Heat oil in a wok. Put all the whole spices and let them splutter
- Add onion – ginger – garlic paste and cook till the paste turns reddish brown or the rawness disappears
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till tomatoes are soft and mashed. Cook till oil starts to separate
- Add water and bring it to boil
- Add chicken pieces, potatoes and let it cook
- When the chicken is half cooked, pour the beaten curd
- Let it simmer and cook till the chicken pieces and potatoes are soft and cooked thoroughly
- Switch off the flame. Serve hot!