Another simple recipe with Hilsa or Ilish, the king of fish. The bengalis wait all round the year for monsoon when the market would be flooded with Hilsa. The bigger the fish, the better aroma and taste! Though shorshe Ilish is yet another popular dish of Ilish, I always prefer to keep it simple with Ilish. It needs no glorification. Just embrace it with simplicity. You will find out the simple aromatic method of cooking Hilsa with just a little kalo jeera or onion seeds here in my Hilsa with onion seeds | Kalo jeera Ilish recipe.
Total cooking time for Hilsa with onion seeds | Kalo jeera Ilish recipe: 10 + 15 minutes
Ingredients for Hilsa with onion seeds | Kalo jeera Ilish recipe cooked for 3 people:
1. 3 Hilsa pieces marinated with little salt and turmeric powder
2. 2 green chillies – slitted
3. 1/2 tsp kalojeera or onion seeds or kalonji
4. Mustard oil
Hilsa with onion seeds | Kalo jeera Ilish recipe – The method:
1. Light fry Hilsa (not brown but golden) and keep separate
2. Heat oil in a wok, crackle onion seeds and chillies
3. Add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil
4. Drop the fishes into the wok and cover cook for 10 – 12 minutes. Nice aroma should come out. Switch off the flame
Serve with steamed rice!
To try Ilish bhaja, check here.
To try other fish recipes please click on the links below:
To find other bengali recipes, click on the link below:
To Follow/Like us at facebook, please click here.
To Follow/Like us on twitter, please click here.
Please leave your valuable comment here on this Hilsa with onion seeds | Kalo jeera Ilish recipe