Ghoogni | Ghugni is a chatpata bengali dish that’s quite popular as a street food. In evenings, maa serves Ghoogni | Ghugni with a slice of bread at home. Even in some parts of West bengal Ghoogni | Ghugni is best enjoyed with muri ( puffed rice ).
The Ghoogni | Ghugni recipe that I am going to share here is especially with minimal spices yet it gives a wonderful chatpata flavor to satisfy your small hunger pangs. I have used no extra chat masala out here.
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Total cooking time to prepare Ghoogni | Ghugni: 30 minutes
Ingredients to make Ghoogni | Ghugni:
- Matar dal ( whole ) – about 3 cups
- A paste of 1 big onion, 6 – 7 cloves of garlic, 1 inch ginger, 1 big tomato
- Few finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, turmeric powder, 1 tsp red kashmiri Mirch powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Refined oil
- 1 – 2 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- Finely chopped onions for garnishing
Ghoogni | Ghugni recipe with minimal spices:
- Soak the matar dal overnight in water
- In a pressure cooker, put matar dal, water, salt, coriander, cumin, chilli powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri Mirch powder. Pressure cook for 7 – 8 whistles
- In a pan, pour refined oil
- When the oil is hot, drop a bay leaf
- Add onion – garlic – ginger – tomato paste and fry till oil starts to separate
- Switch off the gas and add the same to the pressure cooker and mix well and let it cook for some 5 – 8 minutes, till the desired consistency of the Ghoogni | Ghugni is achieved
- Add chopped coriander leaves and simmer for a minute or two
- Switch off gas. Add a dash of lemon juice. Sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander leaves and onions over it and serve in a bowl!
Good picks for you to prepare a full & hearty Bengali meal
A few good reads from the blog apart from recipes
For more such posts, check categories related to travelogues/ lifestyle/ words from the author