Dal sultani is an Awadhi Dal or lentil recipe. Split pigeon pea lentils are used to cook this Dal. Dal sultani definitely tastes the best when charcoal over beetle leaf is used in the cooking process. But we all do not feel comfortable with charcoal procedure at home. So today’s recipe is inspired by Dal sultani recipe from Awadhi cuisine but has a twist from my kitchen as well. I have used tomato instead of curd as well. So if you are inclined to make a more authentic version of dal sultani, do use 2 tbsp of curd instead of tomatoes! But my version of dal sultani, without using charcoal came out to be awesome and my guest loved it completely. Here goes the dal sultani recipe – my way! 🙂
Time to cook Dal sultani: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Dal sultani cooked for 2 – 3 people:
1. Arhar dal or split pigeon pea lentil – 1 cup
2. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4. Refined vegetable oil / Ghee
5. 1 cup milk with 7 – 8 strands of saffron soaked in it
6. Tomato puree of 1 tomato
7. Powdered or grinded 2 red dry chillies, 6 – 8 cloves and 6 – 8 cardamoms
8. 1 tsp cumin seeds
9. 7 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
10. 2 tbsp of fresh cream
11. Ghee – 1 tsp (optional)
Dal sultani recipe – my way:
1. Pressure cook the lentil for 10 – 12 whistles with 2 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt. Let vapor settle
2. Open the lid of the pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water and pour over tomato puree and the grinded powdered spices of chilly, cardamom and cloves. Stir cook for 5 minutes approx. (Please note: If you are using curd, do not mix the curd now. Instead add along with cream and milk in the next step)
3. Mix milk with fresh cream and pour into the pressure cooker. Simmer for 10 minutes
4. In a tadka pan, heat oil. Let some cumin seeds crackle in the oil. Add chopped garlic and wait till they turn brown
5. Now pour the tadka over the dal and stir well. You may add a little ghee on top. Switch off the gas. Cover lid and let it rest for 10 minutes more
After 10 minutes go ahead and serve it with roti or nan!
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.